Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chest Opening

Shutterstock 102612947

I've been taking yoga classes for a few years now and I learn new things about my body and its connection to my soul constantly. One of the things that my body's always trying to tell me is to listen to what it's telling me.

Not to judge or criticize or analyze, but to *listen*.

I have to listen when it tells me too much caffeine, too much work, too much worry. I have to listen when it tells me to move, to stretch, to breathe.

For years, every single time we've done chest openers -- every time -- I've cried. Not like hysterical, wild sobbing or anything, but intense, deep sorrow. Loss. Hurt -- not physical pain, but this quiet internal ow that I protected like an egg, refusing to crack it open. (And come on, if it's been nesting that long, nothing good is growing in there. Joy doesn't need to wait that long to fill you up.)

Today we did chest openers and I smiled.

That's right. I smiled. I could feel the muscles stretching and my breastbone reaching for the ceiling and it was simple. Right. Good.

I made changes in my life, in my universe, and my heart opened and that little space where the joy was missing, well, it's open for business now. 

Let the light shine in. 

Namaste, y'all.

S.

 

Class info:

Location: The Yoga Room

Class type: Gentle

Teacher: Zelinda

1 comment: