Sunday, January 22, 2012

Class Six of the 40 Day Challenge, or Rice Krispies, Tequila, and Balancing the Brain

Shutterstock 16583758

Have you ever had one of those mornings where you realized that, somehow, you had more shots of tequila last night than hours of sleep?

No?

Oh.

Well, uh.

I sort of do.

Now, before you think badly of me, I have to point out that I only had 3 hours of sleep last night, so the four shots are suddenly less impressive. ;-)

Anyway, yesterday was a huge party, lots of stress, lots of fun, lots of tears and booze and old high school friends and company and...

Have you ever heard the way Rice Krispies sound when the milk hits them in the bowl?

That's my neck.

No matter how I move it today, I'm the eternal bowl of rice cereal. In fact, if I move just right? I sort of sound like someone dropped a bowling ball in the bowl along with the milk.

I'd love to be able to say yoga class helped -- it didn't, but two things happened in class that did help.

One, Stacy (who I'd never taken a class from before -- quite lovely and she offered TONS of options, which was grand. I will absolutely take another class from her) said at the beginning of class to announce your intention for the practice.

I am under stress like whoa with deadlines -- and let me tell you, writing blog posts is WAY more fun than the edit I needed to get to my editor last week -- and I'm scattered as all get out. I need focus. I need energy. I need inspiration and faith and a couple of good reviews and and and...

INNER PEACE.

(Yes. Just like Po in Kung Fu Panda 2.)

That's what my brain says I need from this practice.

Inner peace.

Well, okay. Me. Yoga. Inner peace. Let's go.

Now, this is where thing number two happened. Toward the end of class, Stacy had us sit and breathe, closing our nostrils in a specific order. Now, I can't remember for love or money what she called it (and I felt like an idiot when we started), but I swear, y'all. It was like...finding that perfect spot on your pillow right before you fall asleep. You're there, you're settled, but you're awake enough to appreciate it.

Dude. Inner peace. Just like the panda, if the panda was stuffed with Rice Krispies. :D

Namaste, y'all.

S.

 

Class info:

Location: The Yoga Room

Class type: Hatha I

Teacher: Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment