Sunday, January 29, 2012

what happens when I try to breathe from the back of the heart





Tonight's class was 6:15 Hatha 1 with Stacy.

She wanted us to be very aware of our body in three dimensions. At one point we were in child's pose, Stacy asked us to breathe into the back of our heart, pulling out the things we hid there and breathing out the pain.

I took a deep breath. I thought of the things weighing heaviest on my heart right now. I tried to exhale.

I swear to God, y'all, I couldn't breathe out. Instead of a nice long ahhhhhh, there was an urk. I tried again. Innnnnnnn. Urk.

Huh.

Clearly I wasn't ready to let go of that particular heartache yet. It's not ready to go away.

Oftentimes we tend to completely divorce our emotions from our bodies. Yoga sure teaches us that's not possible, and for me, it really helps me be aware of stuff I try to hide, even from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment