Friday, January 20, 2012

Get over yourself

Class four of our forty day challenge was the 9:15 gentle yoga class with Angela this morning.

I would have said I was in a pretty good mood this morning, even if I am sore from pilates (still) and my back is super sensitive from the massage I got yesterday. You know how you feel really bruised after someone pummels your muscles? Yeah. Ow.

I have to admit, though, that when I walked into class this morning, I found my mood was as sour as an old fashioned lemon drop.

We were talking in the gentle class on Tuesday how the "morning group" at the Yoga room is chatty and not too introspective before class. This morning, I felt incredibly intimidated when I stepped through the door, because the atmosphere was... almost somber. Everyone was in place already, and most folks were getting centered, focused inward. Angela greeted us with her usual grace and cheer, but otherwise, it just felt weird. I mention this not to upset anyone, but just to take notice of how any change in our routine can make us instantly uncomfortable.

So, when Angela asked us to set an intention for our practice today before we got started, the one thing that instantly popped into my head was, "Get over yourself, Lorna."

I worked through stiff hamstrings and sore abs, and when we rolled to our back to pull our knees in and rock, I almost let out an operatic scream as my muscles protested. (I'm sure everyone is glad I didn't.)



As we relaxed into shavasana, I checked in with myself to see if my intention had been met. Nope. I was still grumpy and sore and grr. Hey, it happens, even when we try our hardest.

Then we sat up, pulled our hands down to our heart center, and Angela smiled at us, and POP. My bad mood burst just like a soap bubble. And suddenly everyone in class was chatting and laughing and asking where Shawn and I got our blankets, and I realized that 99% of the time it's our perception that needs to change, rather than any kind of outside influence.

I just thought it might be worth mentioning. Now, if my hamstrings would just relax the same way...

No comments:

Post a Comment